close up of parasite on flowers


 Indoor Mold

I hope this article has been a help in understanding some of the issues surrounding remediation of mold in Maine. If you live in Southern , Central or Western Maine feel free to contact us for a free inspection. We are glad to help. Otherwise the resources listed above are a good bet for finding a contractor.

The reason mold removal is so expensive in many cases is due to the nature of the organism. Mold is microscopic. Millions of spores can be present on a surface and not visible to the naked eye detoxic. Mold cannot simply be fogged or killed with chemicals. It must be removed! Mold can be just as dangerous as an allergen dead as it is alive. Mold can be removed through filtration machines for airborne mold, with HEPA vacuums for mold spores on a surface and damp wiping repeatedly after HEPA vacuuming on surfaces. When mold is present on structural framing it must be aggressively removed with wire brushes, dry ice or soda blasting followed by thorough cleaning. The workspace should always be contained and placed under negative pressure to prevent mold spores from spreading to other areas. Mold spores can sit airborne for 6-8 hours after disturbance so controlling airflow is critical while completing work.
If you do seek professional help be cautious in Maine and many other states. Little or no regulations protect Maine citizens from unqualified contractors. You should seek firms that are certified through IICRC in Applied Microbial Remediation, that are licensed Maine master applicators and that carry appropriate liability and pollution insurance. The better business bureau & Angie’s list are also a good bet .

Most people with small or short term exposures to mold do not have anything more than sniffles or irritation of their sinuses like any other allergy. Some of the health risks with more serious exposures can include chronic respiratory symptoms, headaches, asthmatic symptoms and even skin rashes. Children, the elderly & immune compromised people are at greater risk. When dealing with these more high risk individuals or serious mold problems you should consider seeking professional help.
Mold in the outdoor environment is perfectly normal is part of a healthy eco system. Mold such as basidiospore’s help bio degrade leaves, plants and other dead organic matter. Indoor Mold such as penicillium or aspergillus are typically not found outdoors in Maine. These are water damage indicating fungi that can pose a major health problem in high quantities indoors. The best remedy for mold control is moisture control! NO MOISTURE = NO MOLD! When you see mol present indoors it means there is either an old or ongoing moisture issue. Either way the mold needs to be addressed. Small areas are relatively easy to handle and often just need a simple cleaning or removal of affected materials. Large areas of contamination usually require special controls and procedures to properly remove mold.

Rate this post